Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sharing the Mission

One of the things that I get to do as the Executive Director of Mission Doctors is speak in parishes that are assigned to us by the Mission Office of Los Angeles, as part of the Mission Cooperative.  

This year I spoke at the Assumption of The Blessed Virgin in Pasadena In June.  Last week I was in Long Beach at St. Barnabas, and this weekend I will be at Holy Redeemer in Montrose.  

Once I’ve overcome my initial nerves of speaking at all the Masses; I have to be honest now, I really enjoy this.  I enjoy meeting so many people, being in a new parish, enjoying new choirs, and of course having the opportunity to tell the story of Mission Doctors Association.  

I tell people about this amazing legacy of Msgr. Brouwers, that began right here in Los Angeles – more than 50 years ago. I tell them about the work that is being done today in Africa and Latin America.

And, I share a story or two from the doctors – I always like to share this one from Dr. Cavanagh, from their long-term assignment in Zimbabwe. A patient asked if the photo on his desk were his daughters.  To which he replied (no doubt with the pride I’ve heard him speak of his family) ‘Yes these are our daughters.’  The patient’s next question…, ‘Then why are you here?”   Tim’s response was so perfect and sums it up completely…. "We are here, because there are people in the United States who sent us to be here with you.”

As we redid our web site this past year we added something new. 
A Mission of Healing.  A Partnership of Hope.

I always stress when I am speaking at the Masses that the doctors and their families do not do this alone, we are the ones who make it possible, we are all the partners in hope for this mission of healing.

Dr. Tim Cavanagh is just finishing up two months in Cameroon – I invite you to read his post on The Full Chapel, thoughtful as always – this one made me cry. 

No comments: