Thursday, November 28, 2013

Being thankful is being joyful


I continue to believe that gratitude is at the heart of everything that moves us to good.

When I am grateful I value what I have.
When I am grateful I recognize that others are less fortunate.
When I am grateful I feel compelled to share what I have.

I believe that when I am grateful I am also filled with joy.
Joy and gratitude seem to be in an unending Mobius loop - if I am grateful I am joyful / if I am joyful I am grateful - And this is because joy is, to me, greater than being happy or content.  Joy is when - at my core - I experience true gratitude.  That feeling that wells up from my center, viewing my life in its entirety the good and the challenges with real gratitude.  Grateful for my very life.  It is conversely true for me that if I obsess on what might be missing or is difficult - I lose sight of gratitude and joy can seep away.  

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. One day to gather and be Thankful.

I am thankful for so many things - my wonderful family, the unique opportunity I have to be involved in the mission ad gentes of our Faith with both Mission Doctors and Lay Mission-Helpers, my health, living free to practice my faith and so much more.

For a Thanksgiving holiday I remember the three we celebrated in Thailand -  I think of all the missionaries who, this year, will be finding ways to bring and celebrate this tradition around the world.  There may not be all the traditional food, and they will be missing family and friends, as their family will be missing them - but they will gather - celebrate and be thankful.

Pope Francis has shared something special - the Joy of the Gospel - challenging all of us to let the joyful message of the Gospel move us - so this Thanksgiving I am very thankful also for Pope Francis - I am grateful for our Holy Father and his call for all of us to live joyful lives that move us to act... moves us to share the joy of the Gospel.

No comments: