Monday, June 1, 2015

Global Day of Parents

Today, June 1, is the Global Day of Parents.

The United Nations set aside this day in 2012 to recognized and honor parents around the world.

When I first heard about this holiday I immediately thought about the parents I visit when I travel for Mission Doctors.  Both the Mission Doctors who are parents themselves, and the parents I meet sitting at the bedside of a child in a hospital.

Sacrifice is the universal language of parenthood – not a sacrifice the is laden with obligation but sacrifice filled with joy. It doesn’t make it easy to get up with an infant who hasn’t slept well for a week but when gazing at the sleeping child most mothers will say their (sleepy) hearts fill to overflowing.

Every parent wants the same thing for their child.  We want our children to be happy, to be health, to reach their potential.

Circumstances make this very hard for so many.  For the parents waking today in a refugee camp; for those who lack a permanent home; for parents who aren’t sure if they will be able to feed their children today – or if their child will survive the night….

My children and grandchildren are well. I am grateful.

My prayer is that all parents everywhere will have the opportunity to share this joy.






No comments: