Tuesday, March 22, 2016

World Water Day


I am standing at the sink in the early morning light with the water running, waiting for it to get cold enough for me to drink.  At the same time, my shower water is running, waiting for it to get warm enough for me to have a comfortable shower.  Today is the United Nation's Annual World Water Day.  Today, there will be water for my coffee, to brush my teeth, to wash my dishes and clothes.  We, with few significant exceptions, will have no concern for the safety of our water today.  Situations of water shortage or unsafe water in the United States are considered serious occurrences that warrant national concern and news coverage.  For most of us, our main concern with water is when the price per thousand gallons goes up on our water bill.  In terms of water, I am a rich person.



On the other side of the world today, a woman will get up long before the sun does to walk with a bucket on her head.  She will scoop ground water from a river or pond into the bucket and start the long trip back up to her home.  There will be water to drink and for cooking thanks to her efforts, but she will give it to her family wondering if it will make them ill.  Water needed for hygiene, washing clothing, etc., may not be available without additional treks with the bucket.  Water to wash your hands after a trip to the outhouse is often a luxury.  Boiling water to make it safe to drink is also often a luxury involving the gathering of scarce firewood.

The World Health Organization notes that diarrheal illnesses are the 3rd leading cause of death in low-income countries.  Every physician who has worked with Mission Doctors Association in these countries has spent much of their time caring for severely dehydrated children related to inadequate clean water.   Some of these children will be so ill that, despite every effort, they will not live to see next year's World Water Day.


Today, I resolve to drink my water warmer, to take my shower colder.  I will think before I turn on the water tap and keep in mind the millions of women walking today with millions of buckets.  I will try to understand the global issues related to clean water and continue to support Mission Doctors Association in it's work of caring for those in resource-limited countries ill because of inadequate and unsafe water.

 Today's guest blog post is contributed by Dr. Tim Cavanagh. Dr. Cavanagh is a veteran Mission Doctor.  Tim and his wife Sheila served for three years in rural Zimbabwe and continue to serve on short-term missions in Africa and Latin America.  Additionally he serves as a member of the Board of Directors for Mission Doctors Association.

No comments: